Learning to build better relationships.
Read time: 9 min
“Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.”
— Marie Curie
SELF-DISCOVERY: Unleash the Achiever within
From Comfort Zone to Growth Zone
Your comfort zone is where you feel safe and in control. Just outside of your comfort zone are the things you fear. In the fear zone, you lack self-confidence, find excuses not to do something, and are affected by others’ opinions. The trouble is that the fear zone is a wall that blocks you from getting out of the comfort zone. Acknowledge the presence of your fear and make it conscious. Remove fear’s power over you and gain control over it. Identify the specific anxiety or fears you have. Once you identify the fear, it is easier to find solutions to it.
Once you get out of your comfort and fear zones, you enter the learning zone. The learning zone is when you can deal with challenges and problems, acquire new skills, and expand your comfort zone into new territories. The learning zone is inextricably connected to your growth zone. As you are learning, you are finding purpose, living your dreams and discovering new ones, conquering old goals, and setting new ones.
The growth zone always places you back into your comfort zone, though now newly expanded. There will be new comforts, new fears, more learning, and never-ending growth. You will become more and more comfortable with growth and change and, ultimately, transform.
ACHIEVERS’ ARMORY: Equip yourself with proven tools & tactics
Finally, A Journal You Can Type
We often hear high achievers credit their success to a daily routine that includes journaling. In it’s purest form, journaling is the act of writing down and organizing your thoughts, ideas, goals, and schedule to maximize your time and achieve your desired results. While this sounds great, most people do not jump at the suggestion of carrying an extra book around with them. Also, most people will admit their handwriting has become increasingly poor due to the increased use of technology. Luckily for you, Jour has you covered.
Jour is a daily journal that focuses on mindfulness, creating habits, reframing negative thoughts, and helping you achieve a happier and healthier mindset. The best part about Jour is that it is a mobile application that can be accessed via your phone or tablet. Once you download the app, Jour takes you through a series of thought-provoking but straightforward questions to ensure you are being provided the guidance and information you need.
Jour will send you daily notifications to remind you to open the app and complete the exercises for that day. This will serve as a regular check-in to report how you are feeling, why you are feeling that way, and what you can do to change your attitude and mindset.
Learn what types of tips, tricks, and exercises that Jour can help you with by clicking here,
EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE: Master the soft skills
3 Ways To Strengthen Your Relationship With Your Co-Workers
Believe it or not, you see your co-workers more often than you see most of your family. They might not be your friends, but they are important people in your life. While you might be hesitant to join the team happy hour or accept a Facebook request, you must do your part to strengthen your relationships with your fellow employees.
- Ask Non-Work Questions: It’s easy to start all work conversations with a question or request. Next time, try asking your co-worker how their weekend was or how their family is doing. The next time you show up early to a meeting, instead of playing around on your phone, strike up a conversation with another employee while waiting. Make it a point to learn something personal about each co-worker you communicate with regularly.
- Offer To Help Others: It’s easy to pull the “not my job” card when we see someone else struggling. However, allowing someone to fail only hurts the company and usually makes your job harder. You see a problem you can solve; you should actively offer your advice. Your co-workers will appreciate your effort and remember when you went out of your walk to help them. This also presents you as a team player and someone that others can come to for advice.
- Ask For Help: Sometimes, we refrain from asking for help to avoid being seen as weak. If our boss sees us struggling, they may no longer trust us with important tasks. However, going down the wrong path will only result in more work for you and aggravation for everyone else. By asking for help, you show everyone you will not let your ego and pride get in the way of what’s best for the team.
It’s very easy to get stuck in the daily grind and forget that our co-workers are real people. They are vital to your success and the success of the company. It is your responsibility to ensure that your relationships with them are strong. This mindset will position you as a leader and set you up to achieve all of your professional goals.
MINDSET: Train your brain to win
Fixed vs. Growth Mindset
Our mindset is a great predictor of whether we can learn, change, and grow. Our mindset is a spectrum ranging from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset.
- Abilities, intelligence, and talents are all traits we’re born with
- Obstruct development through the belief of innate talent
- Failure is a disaster
- Limits capabilities
- Talents and abilities developed through effort, teaching, and practice.
- Anyone can improve and be smarter through hard work.
- Open to new ideas.
- See failures as learning opportunities.
Life is a journey of growth–from relationships we have to careers we want to build, and to developing ourselves into the best possible version–the only way to shine is to keep growing, learning, and improving. The one constant thing is change! So you must be able to ride the dark tides, roll with the good ones, and continue to reach new depths of greatness. Your mindset is a great place to start.
NEXT LEVEL: Keep your success going
Reinvesting In Your Business
Your business is finally profitable. After you clear your debts, cover your expenses and compensate your team each month, you see a positive, not a negative on your balance sheets. After your initial celebration, you realize it is time to determine how to best reinvest that money back into your company. Only you know what your business needs the most. However, here are a few places you might want to start.
- Business Improvements: As a start-up, you utilized free platforms and cost-effective equipment. Now that you are growing, it is time to upgrade these items. Also, think about the customer experience and how you can invest in improving it.
- Marketing: Doing your own marketing is to be expected at first. However, once you are profitable, it’s time to hire professionals. Identify your most successful marketing channel and brainstorm how a professional might be able to enhance it.
- Hire Help: Hiring people to help you may once have been considered a luxury you could not afford. While you may not be able to hire a full-time employee, you should consider hiring an intern or part-time virtual assistant to delegate some of your administrative tasks.
FUN STUFF – THE ULTIMATE TREASURE HUNT
Forrest Fenn, an art dealer and author, hid a treasure chest in the Rocky Mountains worth over 1 million dollars in 2010 and sent the world on a treasure hunt.
In June 2020, Fenn announced that someone had found the bronze chest filled with gold nuggets, coins, sapphires, diamonds, and other items (with an estimated value of $2 million).