Read time: 11 min
October 23, 2020
Good morning! Happy Friday.
“Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”
HEALTH & WELLNESS: Stay healthy in the hustle
3 Rules For Lunch Time
I (Kyle) love a good meal. However, I have learned over the years that different foods have their time and place. Generally speaking, we understand that we shouldn’t eat Pizza for breakfast (though I have) and avoid too many cookies after dinner.
We do this because we want to stay healthy, watch our calories, and keep our weight to a manageable level. However, I have found that the food I eat at lunch impacts my productivity for the rest of the day. So, here’s my advice:
- Avoid Big Lunches: If you are like me, this is easier said than done. However, a big lunch will normally slow you down for the rest of the day. It will require your body to spend more time and energy digesting your meal. Stop the carb coma.
- Eat Enough To Stay Satisfied: Going the other way, it’s key that you eat enough at lunch to keep you satisfied and energized for the afternoon. You may think you are doing yourself a favor by eating a small lunch, but you are impeding your ability to be productive in the long run. By not eating enough, you run the risk of losing focus, developing a headache, and eventually having to stop and feed yourself.
- Step Away From Your Workspace: Lunch time should also double as a break. This is a chance to step away from both your computer and workspace. Allow yourself to take a break of at least 30 minutes. This will let you recharge your brain and leave you energized to complete the rest of the tasks on your to-do list.
ACHIEVERS’ ARMORY: Equip yourself with proven tools & tactics
Up Your Freelance Game
We’re in the gig economy. Sometimes companies prefer to hire a freelancer for a specific project or short time frame because they are not committed to retaining this person full-time. Individuals with valuable skills enjoy freelance work because they can gain a wealth of experience by working for several companies throughout the year.
Upwork is the leading freelance marketplace for both companies and individuals. This platform was designed to connect talented freelancers with companies in need of their specific skills. Their vast pool of talent includes website developers, graphic designers, copywriters, sales consultants, marketing professionals, virtual assistant, customer service, and much more.
- Companies: As a company, you can submit a job posting based on the position you are looking to fill or the project you need help with. Here is where you can list the skills you are looking for and the rate you will pay.
- Individuals: As a freelancer, Upwork allows you to create a profile and be found by any company searching the platform. You can also proactively search and apply to postings as well. Each post will outline what they are looking for and the rate the job pays.
To learn more about how Upwork can work for you, please click here.
MONEY: Become wealthy
More Money In The Same Amount Of Time
The most common way for us all to earn an income is to trade our time for money. We go to work and get paid for being there, what we produce, and how much we can produce. The wealthiest among us make money on other people’s time.
Whether it’s a dollar-per-hour gig or a salaried position, we exchange our time in return for wages that will pay our bills. When we want more money, we work more. Another way to earn more is to increase the amount we earn per unit of time spent. Most commonly, this means an increase in what we make per hour. Hourly job? Get paid $1 more per hour, and you’ve effectively increased your value. Get a raise? Your 40-hour work week is now “worth” more.
Become deadly in your efficiency in exchanging your time for money by slowly increasing the value of your time traded. Imagine you’re a financial planner with a $50k minimum to invest with you. Once you reach 100 clients, you can’t handle it anymore. What will you do? Increase the minimum to work with you! Change the minimum to be your client from $50k to $75k, and you’ve increased the value of your time. The lower wealth clients cycle out, and the newer, higher-value clients cycle in. This process takes time but continually increasing the value of your time means you are more valuable.
As time goes on and you build this practice into your business, you’ll be able to earn more money in the same amount of time.
MINDSET: Train your brain to win
How to Determine Your Default Mindset
Whether or not you realize it, your mind has a default position based on your life history and experiences. If you have been wronged by too many people or put your trust in the wrong ones, your mind will default to skepticism when you meet a new person. If you have a history of being ridiculed by family or friends, your default emotion will get defensive much quicker than the average person.
Your mind averts to these default positions because it feels this is the best way to defend you. However, if you are not careful, your negative default mindset could hurt your future. If you are skeptical of everyone you meet, you may pass on a lucrative business opportunity. If you feel you must defend yourself at every turn, you will come off in a way where people will no longer want to talk to you.
So, how to determine if you have a negative mindset and turn it into a positive one? First, you must become very self-aware of the first thing you feel after something happens. For example, when you meet someone who appears smart and charming, what thought pops into your head? Is it “Wow, this guy is so cool,” or is it “Wow, this guy is so phony.” When someone gives you constructive feedback, what is the initial reaction? Are you grateful they took the time to provide you with feedback, or are you ready to pounce and defend your honor because you feel disrespected?
For the next three days, note your first thought or reaction to everyday occurrences. Chances are it’s more negative than positive. As soon as you feel yourself defaulting to a negative state, stop yourself, and change course. Take a breath or count to three. Take the time to consider the situation and whether it is as bad as you think it is. Force yourself to look at the positive side and think about how this interaction will benefit you in some way. This will be a difficult change at first, but it will become second nature over time, and you will become a more positive, open-minded person.
SELF-DISCOVERY: Unleash the Achiever within
Manifest means to display, exhibit, or appear. A word of action and consequence. Manifesting is cultivating the experience of what you want to feel and then living and believing in that experience to allow it to come into form.
When you manifest something into your life, it’s because you consciously called it forward. Manifesting uses the Law of Attraction, which works by changing what’s on the inside – which in turn changes your experience of the world. Your intention sets your direction.
Here’s a 5 step plan to manifesting:
- Focus – be ultra-specific about what you want. This allows your brain to filter opportunities that could help you.
- Boost– get super excited about your goal. This activates the brain’s amygdala, which tells your brain what’s important and keeps you super motivated.
- Release – delete mental and emotional blockages. Try exercising, meditating, reading, or anything to remove your internal blocks and stress that could destroy any manifesting results.
- Gratitude – feel thankful for your blessings. This restores you and fills you with happiness and feelings of wellbeing.
- Go – take the next small step. Actions reinforce the manifesting that is taking for through a positive feedback loop.
FUN STUFF – TRIVIA
What English word is derived from the Latin “duodecim”? Answer below.
NEWS BREAK: Stay informed
- Active Russian cyberattacks are targeting American government networks, including those involved with the ongoing election, federal authorities revealed Thursday.
- Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski signaled on Thursday that she will vote against confirming Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court next week.
- The FDA approved remdesivir to treat Covid-19 on Thursday, making it the first and only drug so far to have received federal approval for the coronavirus.
- Elton John is getting his very own Barbie doll that is styled in his likeness with a glittery top and flared denim complete with the singer’s initials.
1% BETTER: Improve each day
Write down your three top goals for the rest of the year on a post-it note and tape it to your desk.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Dozen. Make ’em donuts or bagels, please.