In terms of emotional intelligence, social skills refer to the skills needed to handle and influence other people’s emotions effectively. In simple terms, it’s the skills you need to understand how to communicate with specific people in certain situations.
Social skills in the Emotional Intelligence sense, include:
- Persuasion and Influencing: This includes understanding the situation, the people involved, and knowing what to say and how to say it.
- Communication: Having the ability to listen to others and provide appropriate and valuable feedback. It is also the ability to convey your ideas and feelings accurately.
- Conflict Management: Be able to dissect a conflict, ensure everyone feels heard, and present a fair resolution to both sides.
- Leadership: Leadership includes explaining your vision and motivate others to follow it.
- Change Management: Presenting change as an opportunity and persuading others to be excited about it instead of stressed or anxious.